The idea for a new class of two cylinder, 4-6-0, mixed traffic locomotive on the Great Western Railway came from George Churchward, Chief Mechanical Officer at the time, in the years preceding the First World War.
His proposal envisaged combining the standard Swindon No.1 boiler with driving wheels of 5’ 8” to deliver a combination of good pulling power and good acceleration, vital in the design of an efficient mixed traffic locomotive. For any number of reasons, and despite his other proposals all coming to fruition, the design was not pursued and it was to be the 1930s before the idea was revived.
Locomotive No.6825 Llanvair Grange was built at Swindon and entered service in February 1937, allocated to Exeter Shed. Between 1946 and October 1960 the locomotive operated from Penzance, before being moved around the region, finally being withdrawn from St. Philip’s Marsh, Bristol in June 1964.
Technical Specification & Detail
||Late BR, Lined Green