By 1925, the Southern Railway had settled on its new standard design corridor coach of 59’ length, 9’ width and 12’ 4” height, with standard 8’ SR bogies and on August 6th that year, authority under order E98 was granted to construct six First Class Dining Saloons for the Western Section. The first of a batch of twenty six such vehicles under Diagram 2651, they were intended for the London-Bournemouth, London-Portsmouth and London-Exeter services and were of the low-windowed design.
Seating twenty four passengers in four seating bays at one end and the Kitchen, Pantry, Service Vestibule and Side Corridor at the other, a set of double loading doors opened into the vestibule, while the passengers accessed the Restaurant from the gangways at either end.Four further low windowed Dining Saloons were completed between July and December 1929, intended for the inter-regional through sets and in May/June 1930, ten further Dining Saloons entered service, under Order 464, on West Country workings.
Technical Specification & Detail
||Era 4 (1948 - 1956)